Going Home to Cabo Verde

The first time I visited Cabo Verde, others asked how it felt to "go home" - There is no doubt that that is what it felt like being there. Having never set foot on Cabo Verde's soil, I felt like I was home! Especially visiting the island of Sao Nicolau, where my family is from.

To be surrounded by your people, culture, language, food, and music is amazing after growing up in a country, state, and town where no one has ever heard of the place that your family is from. If I had a dollar for every time I had to explain where Cabo Verde is, or what being Cape Verdean is, I would be rich! I must say there have been a few times that someone knew about Cabo Verde, but much more often than not, I taught someone something new that day. I'm sure many of you can relate.

This was only my second trip to Cabo Verde, and I do wish I had visited more frequently throughout my life, but I do plan to make up for lost time! Let's normalize visiting and investing in Cabo Verde if you are Cabo Verdean and your family has been in the United States for two or more generations. I think as Cabo Verdean Americans, people have thought that it would be a difficult task to visit Cabo Verde, all the way in Africa - especially if they don't speak the language. I am often letting others know that you CAN visit Cabo Verde; just like you visit any other island that speaks another language. By making that trip, you will also be supporting your people.

Get your passport ready, and start planning your trip - You won't regret going home!


"I Love Praia" sign outside the Praia, Santiago Nelson Mandela Airport


Cesaria Evora Airport in Sao Pedro, Sao Vicente


Cesaria Evora statue outside the airport.


"I Love Fogo" mural in Fogo.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Genealogy Challenge